February 19 is Legislative Day! Show your Support for Housing and Conservation!
We need you!
The Vermont Housing and Conservation Coalition (VHCC) Legislative Day is the day for housing and conservation supporters to champion the projects and values supported by Vermont Housing and Conservation Board (VHCB) funding. Legislators need to hear from YOU—Vermonters doing the work on the ground—about how VHCB-funded projects are helping solve some of Vermont’s most pressing issues. Together, our partnership with VHCB helps fight homelessness, improves water quality, creates affordable housing, supports downtown development, protects Vermont’s priceless landscape, and promotes rural economic development, including working farms, forests and the outdoor recreation economy. This year we are pushing for full statutory funding for VHCB and we need YOUR HELP to make the case!
Please join us at the State House on Tuesday, February 19 to deliver the message that it is important to continue funding VHCB.
To help us plan for the day, please register online at the bottom of the page by February 12.
Elise Annes, Vermont Land Trust, (802) 262-1206, email
Chris Donnelly, Champlain Housing Trust, (802) 310-0623, email
Phil Huffman, The Nature Conservancy, (802) 229-4425 x109, email
Molly Dugan, Cathedral Square, (802) 859-8803, email
VHCC Legislative Day Schedule (subject to change):
Tuesday, February 19, 2019
|7:30 – 2:00||Cardroom Display – pick up packets and name tags – Meet with Legislators (Cardroom)|
|8:30 – 9:00||Training: “How to be an Effective Citizen Lobbyist” (Room 11)|
|9:00 – 10:00||Welcome Session with Key Elected Leaders (Room 11)|
|9:00 – 2:30||Testimony in Various House and Senate Committees|
|12:00 – 1:00||Lunch – Meetings with Legislators (Cafeteria)|
|1:00 – 2:00||Ice Cream Social – Meetings with Legislators (Cafeteria)|
Visiting the State House
To help you find your way to the statehouse here is a link to a map with routes and parking information.
The Capital Shuttle is recommended when parking from distant parking lots. The Capital Shuttle travels via State Street, Memorial Drive/Dept. of Labor and National Life Drive providing connections to and from the State House during the Legislative Session. For a complete listing of service dates, please call (802) 223-7287.
Tips for being in the State House:
- The building can be warm or cold – dress in layers for comfort.
- Lunch can be purchased in the Statehouse cafeteria.
- Although we will notify your legislator that you will be in the building, we encourage you to set up an individual or small group meeting with your legislators in advance. Here is an easy-to-use guide to find your legislators: http://legislature.vermont.gov
Help VHCC Spread the Word
- Download postcard for mailing your members
- Put a notice on your organization’s website
- Share the event on your Facebook Page
- Email a link to vlt.org/vhcc and the online registration form to your members, clients, board, staff and community supporters
- Schedule “Talking to Your Legislators” training for your group via conference call, webinar, or in-person. To schedule, contact Cindy
- VHCC letter to Governor Phil Scott